Apple TV is an all-in-one streaming device that satisfies all your entertainment needs. It comes with built-in streaming apps such as Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, and ESPN. Besides this, you can use the App Store on the Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD models to choose and install your favorite apps. Furthermore, Apple TV features a user-friendly interface that can be accessed with ease using the remote controller of the streaming media player. In unfortunate cases, you may find your tvOS remote controller not working. As a result, you cannot control or navigate on the Apple TV interface. If you want to fix up the Apple TV Remote not working issue, you will find the necessary guidelines here in this article.
Possible Fixes for Apple TV Remote Not Working
The following are the useful solutions to fix the common issues on your Apple TV Remote.
#1. Check the Remote Battery Level
When the tvOS remote fails to work, you should first check the battery level of the remote controller. Follow the steps given below.
1) From the tvOS home screen, launch the Settings app.
2) Select Remotes and Devices on the next screen.
3) Now, you can see the battery level under the Remote section.
4) If you click on the Remote option, it will show you the exact percentage.
#2. Charge the Apple TV Remote
Basically, there are two variants of Apple TV Remotes. If you have the basic Apple TV Remote, you have to change the battery. Whereas the Siri Remote that comes along with Apple TV HD and Apple TV 4K are chargeable.
You can simply charge the Apple TV remote using a lightning cable that you use for Apple devices. Just connect the one end of the lightning cable to the lightning port at the bottom of the Siri Remote. Then, connect the other end to a USB power adaptor. It will take around three hours for your Apple TV remote to get charged fully.
Related: How to Charge Apple TV Remote and Siri remote
#3. Replace the Apple TV Remote
The older Apple TV models usually come with a basic Apple TV Remote with no lightning port for charging. For Aluminium Apple Remote, there is a provision to insert battery on its backside. You have to use a coin and turn it counterclockwise to remove the battery.
In case you have a white Apple remote, you can see the battery compartment at the bottom. Simply press the release button to slide out the battery tray. By default, it comes with CR2032 Battery. But it can be replaced with either CR2032 or BR2032 lithium 3V coin battery.
#4. Reset the Apple TV Remote
Resetting the Apple TV remote is the easiest method of all measures. All you need to do is to unplug the Apple TV from the port and wait for 10 seconds. Then connect it again to check whether the problem gets resolved or not.
- For 1st Generation Siri Remote
- Press and hold the Menu and Volume Up buttons of your remote.
- Keep the remote closer to Apple TV until you see the pop-up message.
- The pop-up message will disappear once the remote gets paired.
- For 2nd Generation Siri Remote
- Hold the Back and Volume Up buttons simultaneously for a few seconds.
- Place the remote very close to the TV to pair it.
- If the pairing is successful, the pop-up message will disappear.
- For lower models
- Press and hold the Left and Menu buttons together until you see the pop-up.
- If you see the pop-up on the screen, hold the Right and Menu buttons at a time.
- The two ovals will overlap each other, that denotes pairing.
Related: How to Pair Apple TV Remote [Step By Step]
#5. Protect Your Remote
You should buy a sturdy case that protects your remote from physical damage. Also, keep the remote away from water as it is not waterproof. If none of the measures resolve the issue, you can directly contact Apple Support and consider buying a new remote instead.
I hope this article has covered all the common fixes that help you resolve the Apple TV Remote not working issue. If you still have any issues or doubts related to this post, don’t hesitate to mention your queries in the comments. Visit our blog for more useful tricks and interesting articles on Apple TV.