Apple TV brings to you entertainment at its best with all popular apps, including Netflix, HBO Max, Disney Plus, and YouTube. Obviously, you need to connect your Apple TV to the internet to stream titles from any of these apps. If you wish, you can connect your Apple TV with an Ethernet cable. However, connecting your device to WIFI is more convenient as it reduces the use of long cables. However, the method of connecting a device to WIFI might be different in different generation Apple TVs. With that, you shall find out how to connect an Apple TV of any model to the WIFI connection from here.
How to Connect an Apple TV HD or Apple TV 4K to WIFI
Pocket Guide: Open Apple TV 4K or HD, open Settings > select Network > choose Connection > select the WIFI Network > Enter the Correct Password.
1. Turn on your Apple TV HD or Apple TV 4K and launch the Settings menu.
2. On the menu, navigate to the Network option and select it.
3. From the next menu, select the Connection option. Now, your device will scan for nearby WIFI networks and show them on your screen.
4. From the list on your screen, choose the WIFI connection that you would like to connect to.
5. On the authentication page, enter the password carefully.
6. With that, you have successfully connected to the WIFI network. You can see that the WIFI network that you have connected to will be listed under the Connection option of the Network settings.
Related: How to Change Password on Apple TV
How to Connect Second-Generation And Third-Generation Apple TV to WIFI
Pocket Guide: On Apple TV 2nd or 3rd Gen, open Settings menu > General > Network > Choose the WIFI Network > Enter Password.
1. Set up your Apple TV and launch the Settings app on it.
2. From the menu, select the General option and then the Network option.
3. With that, your Apple TV will scan for available WIFI networks and list them on your screen.
4. You will have to carefully pick a WIFI network you intend to get connected to.
5. On the authentication page, enter the Password.
6. Within seconds, you will get connected to the WIFI.
7. You can see that the name of the WIFI network that you are connected to appears on the Settings.
Apple TV Not Connecting To WIFI: Troubleshooting Tips
While you try connecting your Apple to the WIFI, you might at times face some problems. It includes being unable to connect to the WIFI, unable to play any media on the device, and the download was not complete. Whatever be the WIFI network problem you face, here is a list of troubleshooting tips to help you out.
Check if your WIFI is Working
You can check if your WIFI is working by connecting your iPhone or other devices to the network. If these devices work without problems, you can find out that the issue is actually not with the WIFI network. Also, if you have connected a lot of devices to the WIFI and have been using it simultaneously, it might reduce the efficiency of the WIFI network. It is also reported that certain devices like wireless headphones, microwave ovens, metal dividers, chrome faceplates, and cordless phones interfere with the WIFI connectivity on Apple TV. If you find one or more of these devices, you need to clear them off.
Restart the Router
If you feel like the other devices you had tried connecting to the WIFI do not work properly, you need to restart your router. Plug out the router from the power source for a minimum of 60 seconds and then re-plug it. Now, check if you can connect the WIFI to Apple TV.
Restart Apple TV
Restarting Apple TV will fix minor issues on the device including improper network connectivity. Go to Settings > General > Restart.
Update Your Wireless Router
Updating the firmware of a router will help resolve the connectivity issues. However, updating the router might be different on different devices.
Update Your Apple TV
If your Apple TV has a pending software update, it might come up with WIFI connectivity issues. To update Apple TV Firmware, go to Settings > General > Update Software.
Use Ethernet Cable
For the best of your internet connection, try connecting your Apple TV to the WIFI via an Ethernet cable.
Frequently Asked Questions
To connect your Apple TV to the WIFI, go to Settings > Network > Connection > Choose the WIFI Network you Like > Enter the Password.
If you have turned on your WIFI but, can’t connect it to your Apple TV, it is better to restart both your WIFI router and your Apple TV. Also, check if you have any pending software updates on both and update it if you have a pending update.
If your Apple TV says your WIFI password is wrong, you might have to check if you have correctly entered the password. Even a small typo will prevent you from connecting to the same.
You can use your Apple TV Remote app on your iPhone to connect your Apple TV to WIFI without using the remote.
Yes. You can use Apple TV without WIFI but the functionalities will be limited.