Skype is the oldest name in the market when it comes to video conferencing. For those who aren’t familiar with Skype, it is an online video calling platform owned by Skype Technologies, a division of Microsoft. The platform was developed in 2005 by Niklas Zennstrom and Janus Friis. Skype falls under Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) platforms. Other than video calls, the app also facilitates audio calls and an instant messaging option that allows file transfer. The app even offers debit-based calls to mobile or landline numbers. This article will discuss everything about using Skype on Apple TV. Skype isn’t officially available for the tvOS. So the below section will cover an alternative approach that lets you access Skype on your Apple TV.
How to Watch Skype Video Calls on Apple TV
It is to note that the App Store doesn’t have a dedicated Skype app for tvOS. Therefore to use Skype on Apple TV, you will have to use the AirPlay feature and mirror the screen from either your Mac or iPhone.
AirPlay Skype Video Calls to Apple TV from Mac Desktop or MacBook
To AirPlay Skype from your Mac, you will have to enable the AirPlay option on your macOS. You can skip this section if you have already enabled AirPlay on your macOS.
Enable AirPlay on Mac Desktop or MacBook
1. First, click on the Apple menu icon on the top right corner of your screen.
2. In the drop-down menu, select System Preferences.
3. Next, go to the Displays option in the System Preferences window.
3. Then, check in the box next to Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available option to enable AirPlay on Mac.
AirPlay Skype from Mac
1. Make sure your Mac and the Apple TV you want to AirPlay to are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
2. Click the AirPlay icon at the top of your Mac’s screen or on the menu bar. The AirPlay icon looks like a rectangle with an upward arrow at the bottom.
3. Select the Apple TV device you want to AirPlay from the drop-down menu.
4. Enter the password displayed on the screen of the Apple TV in the pop-up window that shows up on your Mac.
5. You can see your Mac screen mirrored to your Apple TV screen.
6. Now, visit Skype’s official website or open the Skype app, Sign in to your account and make a call.
7. You can see your macOS screen mirrored on your Apple TV.
Related: How to Use FaceTime on Apple TV
AirPlay Skype Video Calls to Apple TV from iPhone/iPad
1. Install the Skype app from the App Store on your iPhone.
2. Connect your iPhone to the same WIFI network as your Apple TV.
3. Then, open the Control Center and tap on the Screen MIrroriong icon.
4. From the list of available devices, select your Apple TV device.
5. Once the connection is established, open the Skype app on your iOS device and Sign in to your Skype account. The call you make and receive on skype will mirror on the TV screen.
Frequently Asked Questions
As we said earlier, Skype is not available for Apple TV. Since Skype requires camera and microphone access to make video/audio calls, Skype will not be released for Apple TV or any other streaming devices.
Mirroring an Android device on Apple TV is a complicated process and you need to install a third-party app for screen mirroring. So it is advisable to Airplay from an iOS device.